No one said it was easy

Well, actually, I did.  This knitting began like ordinary knitting.  If you read my other posts, you may have heard me haughtily refer to this pattern as “easy”.  In fact, this label was given because you need only the following skills to be able to accomplish it:

  • Knit in the round
  • Purl
  • Slip stitches purlwise with yarn held forward

Now, let me explain that it is easy to physically accomplish the pattern.  What I didn’t realize until yesterday is that it also requires the ability to motivate yourself to continue to knit it for what might seem like an eternity.  Here, we have Exhibit A.

Note: this yarn is actually more teal than periwinkle blue.  I’m not sure why my camera refuses to recognize its hue but I digress.

As a yarn hoarder connoisseur, it is imperative that I consume as much of this yarn as possible so as to avoid having little tiny balls of the leftover yarn stored in my stash for all eternity when I am done.  The proper amount to be left with is under a metre.  I will accept 2 – 3 metres of waste yarn.  After that, some voice inside my head says “maybe it’ll make a nice flower one day” and it joins many of its future flower friends.

Now that my yarn is turning into a little pile of noodles, the time came last night to weigh my progress and start monitoring consumption.   I started with 100 g of yarn, which should mean that I was getting near the end, right?

Wrong.  I had 20 g left.   I was only 4/5 of the way.  With a deep sigh, I pulled up the Yarn Harlot‘s blog on my android (I made it through 3 months and am now up to January 2006!), mustered up some courage and began making my rounds.  I even resisted pouring some Amaretto in my cola (mostly because I’m ignoring a colossal mistake that I’ll be painstakingly correcting, even though the recipient of the knitting looked right at it and said “What mistake?”  I know what mistake I made, and even though it is half of the way down, and almost half of the cowl wide, I must repair it.  Therefore, I must avoid making any more.)

Morning came and I saw this sitting on the couch.  Surely, I made some progress?  I give you Exhibit B.

Okay.  Some.  This cowl currently measures 19.5 cm (or roughly 7 3/4 inches) in width, of which the trim measures a measly 1 cm (3/8 of an inch).   I started with 100g and I have 12g left.  If 88g makes 19.5 inches and I need to make a 1 cm edge (plus bo), I need…4.5g.  Is that right?  I need to use 7 more grams of this stinking filthy never-ending beautiful merino on the body of my pattern?

Clearly, it’s time to go buy new yarn to make this yarn jealous and eager to knit up a little faster.  Wolseley Wool is celebrating their 2nd anniversary today and I am packing up my stupid project and my camera and going on a field trip!  Stay tuned!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Trash To Couture

A journal and a journey

Elegant Economy

Exploring Creative Options for Cute and Frugal Knitting

danadoodleknits

Modern Knitwear Design by Dana Berry

Nice and Knit

Lovingly Hand Dyed Yarns

30 Days of Something New

A journal and a journey

Yarn Harlot

A journal and a journey

%d bloggers like this: